FOLLOW ME!!

**********I'm blogging at MichellePendergrass.com and Visual Prayer now!**********

Monday, April 20, 2009

Menu Plan Monday--April 20

Starting March 2nd, We're going to give this a shot. I used to be so good at planning meals and something happened--and then I found out by way of a food journal, my system doesn't tolerate MSG--so I'm making thing from scratch to avoid the nasty stuff!

And since we're moving soon, I also would like to need to empty out the abundance from my freezer and pantry. I'm going to try to GOING to spend less than $15 a week for my grocery budget in April and probably the first two weeks of May. WISH ME LUCK! LOL

* * *



Not so good this week. Spent double the budget. Sure, that's only $30 instead of $15 but it was well worth it to get some fresh fruits and veggies and the makings for potato salad and carrot raisin salad. Recipes below! My friend, Toni, made the carrot raisin salad for lunch one Creative Day and I've been craving it--so I found a recipe and tweaked it.

Our grandbaby might be coming Wednesday. Jess has an ultrasound and the doctor will decide if she want to induce on Wednesday or the following Monday. I'm going to plan the week just in case.

We rented a condo with a full kitchen down by Jess so I'll need to make a plan for the week we're with her. My parents stay here to watch the dogs so I'll need to pull some food from the deep freeze to the kitchen freezer for them.

I can't believe this is all happening so soon!!

Monday--ham and beans from the freezer, fresh cornbread

Tuesday--Haluski (Polish comfort food--noodles and cabbage with butter!)

Wednesday--Beef stir fry (with leftover steak from last week)

Thursday--Leftovers

Friday--Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, potato salad, carrot raisin salad

Saturday--Grilled pork chops

Sunday--If the baby's not induced Wednesday, we'll be leaving early in the morning today!



Michelle's Potato Salad

  • About 10-13 medium russet potatoes, skins on, diced small
  • 5 hard-boiled eggs, diced really tiny
  • 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise (real Mayo!! Not Miracle Whip)
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 large chopped sweet onion
  • 3 large celery ribs
  • 1 large chopped dill pickle
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (optional)



1. Wash and chop potatoes, boil until tender (but not falling apart!) then rinse in cold water for about 5 minutes. Shake excess water away and dump back in pot.



2. While the potatoes are boiling, you can boil your eggs. Unless you thought ahead and boiled them previously. Or have leftover Easter eggs. Of course, if you're reading this and it is July--please don't use your leftover Easter eggs.

I use my handy-dandy Pampered Chef egg slicer. I put it in. Slice. Take it out and turn it. Slice. Then one more time I turn it and slice again. It makes a mess, but it's way less messier than chopping them on a cutting board.

3. Chop everything else (or use your food processor. I don't like to dirty a ton of dishes, so the potatoes and everything else go back into the pot and I mix it in there. Then I move it to a storage bowl with a lid and stick it in the fridge.

Voila! You have MSG and preservative free Potato Salad! It tastes better after it sits in the fridge for a few hours!


* * *





Carrot Raisin Salad

  • 4 cups shredded carrots
  • 2 diced celery ribs
  • 1 cup raisins (I like the Golden ones!)
  • 2/3 cup mayonnaise (Real Mayo--not Miracle Whip)
  • 2 tablespoon distilled white vinegar




This is pretty straight forward. Shred your carrots and celery, add everything...



And mix. You're done! It tastes better after it sits in the fridge for a few hours!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: