FOLLOW ME!!

**********I'm blogging at MichellePendergrass.com and Visual Prayer now!**********

Saturday, January 7, 2006

The Enemy

(disclaimer: I don't often talk about Satan, but I think it is necessary to know and understand the enemy, not focus on him.)

The enemy has the power and authority to use anyone who does not belong to Jesus. .(more info) Given the fact that Satan has been around for quite some time now, do you think it is a correct presumption that he might know a little about humans attitudes, dispositions, characteristics? Possibly more than we do? Not that he is all-knowing, mind you. However, he's been around and I think it is safe to say he knows which buttons to push.

Satan's agenda is to push people away from God. God's wants us to come to him. If Satan can keep people from believing God by furthering a misconception, don't you think he would do it? Do you think Satan follows any rules? I'm sure Satan is an opportunist and takes every chance He gets. God describes him as a lion prowling, seeking one to destroy.

That analogy is powerful. When hunting, lions don't go after the strong in the herd, they go after the weak, the ones falling behind, the ones who are not with the rest of the herd. The lion doesn't just attack a zebra and leave it, the lion destroys it and devours it.

The next sentence after God says that Satan is prowling around like a roaring lion looking for anyone he can devour says: Resist him [Satan], firm in the faith...

Here's what I see.

The Bible primarily exists to give us instructions on how to live with God eternally. (In other words, it shows us what it takes for a person to go to Heaven.) And its secondary purpose is to instruct those who believe what it says about the primary existance.

Satan will use any opportunity that presents itself to keep people from being with God.

The bottom line of the Bible is faith. Hebrews 11:6 says that without faith it is impossible to please God. The definition of faith is is Hebrews 11:1 faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen.

If Satan can use things to make people doubt, he will. If he can use things to make people stumble, he will. If he can use things to totally and completly incapacitate faith, you BET he will.

So how do we defend ourselves against someone like Satan? God says to put on His full armor so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil. (Read here) It is an analogy to help us understand we do have ways to stand in times of attack. This tells us "in every situation" to take the shield of faith to extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one and to take "the sword of the Spirit, which is God's word"

So, Satan's attacking and I'm standing with my shield of faith and his arrows are bouncing off of me and I'm standing ready with my sword. I want to say here, that I'm not about to enter that kind of battle with a defective sword. Since my shield of faith is up, I'm believing God that the sword He provided me with is effective. And just to prove to me it is, in case I'm human...which I am...and I doubt that the sword is effective, God gives me this: For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating as far as to divide the soul, spirit, joints, and marrow; it is a judge of the ideas and thoughts of the heart. No creature is hidden from Him, but all things are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give an account. (read here)

Will Satan prowl after you if your shield is down? Will he attack when he sees you've put your sword aside? You betcha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Powerful post. The battle belongs to the Lord. May His angels surround and protect you.

Anonymous said...

Michelle...thanks for visiting me...i was in the process of updating my blog...there actually is stuff there...

I am just taking a brief break...love your blog and will be back...God bless

Anonymous said...

Fear is the devil’s middle name. Or is it hate? ...or was it envy...?

Right on sister, whack that devil with an ugly stick!

Praying for you!