FOLLOW ME!!

**********I'm blogging at MichellePendergrass.com and Visual Prayer now!**********

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Homemade Old Bay, Dips, and Tuna Cakes

I thought I blogged about this? I searched the blog and couldn't find it so I guess I intended to, but didn't.

Some time ago, in a land far, far away. Oh. Wait. Let me start again.

Sometime in the recent past, I can't remember when--I keep reading that's part of this thyroid nonsense I'm dealing with, Phil made Tuna Cakes. It started like this. Remember when I went to see Jill? On the way home, I stopped at my friend Lisa's house and her fabulous husband Will made tuna cakes, homemade dip and buttered noodles. I came home raving and not to be outdone, Phil had to prove that he could do it better. (Don't tell him I like it when he does that.)

So I emailed Lisa for the herbs and we set to re-creating the meal my gracious hosts served.

So now here's where I share what we learned. Phil made fish cakes and here are the dips and the recipe for homemade Old Bay Seasoning.

Our local health food store sells bulk spices and we've found they're much more flavorful and a heck of a lot cheaper.

The dips we made for the tuna and crab cakes:

1. Basil, cracked pepper, mayonnaise
2. Tarragon, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise
3. Old Bay, mayonnaise



Here's the Homemade Old Bay:

1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
2 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ground
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
    Combine well and store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Mmmm . . . may have to try the crab version!

I enjoyed chatting with you and the other party-goers tonight! :D

Dazy said...

This recipe is really going to keep me busy in the kitchen with all its tastiness. This is another must for the weekend! My kids would just hug me for this.